The examples of social media impacting customer service and customer loyalty can be found regularly in the news. Right now many companies are trying to figure out what to do with social media channels. An interesting question has been raised concerning who in the company is best at handling the social media channel interactions. I have an opinion on this…the contact center.
Some of the organizations within a company that can handle social media channels include:
- Digital marketing
- PR and communications
- Contact center
- Outsourced agency
- Nobody (we ignore social media)
No one is better suited than the contact center to handle these interactions. Here’s why:
- The contact center cares about the business and is invested in making sure that all of your customers are happy no matter how they like to communicate with you.
- The contact center is staffed to handle customer interactions and knows how to keep up with the volume over time.
- The contact center is trained to handle customer interactions and knows how to handle both compliments and criticism and deal with escalations before they become a problem.
- The contact center already has access to the tools and methodologies for resolving nearly any customer interaction regardless of where it originated.
- The contact center is already a central point of communication with your company. Marketing, PR and others may already leverage contact center information to measure customer satisfaction.
Ask yourself the following questions; Who is handling the social media channels in my organization? Is there any reason why my contact center shouldn’t be the front line in handling social media? This is a terrific opportunity for you to add even more value to the organization and get out ahead of the curve, before those interactions are mishandled by amateurs in your company.